Monday, March 26, 2012

Scrabble Tile Pendants

My sister found these Scrabble Tile Pendants that I thought were so cute! Since I had a ton of left over Scrabble pieces from the ornaments I made at Christmas and I already had everything except the bails, I thought I would give it a try.

The first one I made before we moved in January. I used this glass stuff I had in my scrapbooking stuff and it turned out really cute. Unfortunately, after the move, I cant find the tile, or the glass stuff I used. :o\

The original blog suggests making a template sort of thing that acts as a viewing window. I highly recommend doing the same because it not only allows you to see how the paper would look, it helps in positioning the tile and knowing where to cut. She also says you can carry it with you so when you're out and about and you see a paper you might want to use, you can pull out your template and see if it would work. I haven't taken it to that level yet, but it's a good idea.



Ok, so here's what I did:
  1. Find the paper/pattern/print I wanted to use.
  2. Used the view finder to line up how I want it to be on the tile.
  3. Place the tile inside the view finder and holding the tile in place, carefully pull the view finder away.
  4. Use an exacto knife to cut the paper to fit the the tile. 
  5. Use Mod Podge to glue the paper to the tile. (It doesn't really matter what side of the tile you glue it to. If you're making the pendant for someone, I think it is cute to use the tile with their first initial on it so I glue the paper on the blank side, leaving the letter to show on the back.)
  6. Once the first Mod Podge coat dried, I did 1-2 more coats. Allow to dry completely.
  7. Apply the glass glaze so it covers the paper. Be careful to avoid bubbles, if you can. I get the glaze started on scrap paper in order to squeeze out any bubbles. Allow 24 hours for the glaze to dry. 
  8. Once the glaze is dry, use sand paper or a metal file to clean up the edges. 
  9. Use super glue to attach the bail. (The bails, by the way, were tough to find. I ended up ordering them on Amazon.)

They turn out really cute! I used the Mod Podge Magic Dimensions on these. As I mentioned in my previous post, I pretty much hate this stuff. Not only is it really thin and runny, but as you can kind of see in the picture above, when it dried it left a little divot, for lack of a better word, in the center of the pendant. You can see it a little more in this picture:


The only one it didn't happen to was the bird one. I have heard there are better products out there. The girl that originally made these used Diamond Glaze. The girl that helped me at Michaels recommended using resin. I might play around with it some more and see if I can perfect it, but then again... I might not. I just might be over these cute little pendants.

If you give these a try, let me know your results. If you've successfully made them before, let me know what medium you used to make the glaze part.


6 comments:

  1. Those are really cute! They remind me of stuff sold on Etsy and my little atheist necklace makers and stuff that are funky and different. I think they would make cute little pendants on bracelets as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is what I tried to make you that failed. I found a cute bow to put on it. :o)

      Delete
    2. awwww... I wonder why the bow one didn't work. :|

      Delete
  2. Where did you get the paper for these? I'm having the hardest time finding designs I like. I really like 'em -- even with the divot. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you finding the paper for these? I'm having such a hard time finding patterns I like. In any case, I really like 'em. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the bird in a magazine. The other two were scrapbooking paper I had around the house.

      Delete