Friday, January 13, 2012

The 16 Year Old Me

On the radio on my way into work Wednesday, they were discussing what they would tell their 16 year old selves if given the chance to talk to them today and it got me thinking.

Then I saw this pin on Pinterest:

 

And it dawned on me that I would definitely tell the 16 year old me exactly that and to not be in such a hurry to grow up.

When I was 16, I swore I would never be one of those adults that wished I was 16 again because, lets face it, being 16 was hard... but now that I am an adult, man what I wouldn't do to be 16 again. I was care free, no bills, no responsibilities. It was fantastic.

Sadly, when you are 16 you think you know everything and no matter who says it, you wont believe how great those teenage years are.

Even though I am positive my 16 year old self wouldn't listen to my 33 year old self, here are some things I would tell her:
  1. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up and enjoy these years. As difficult as they may seem now, these are valuable lessons you are learning.
  2. Listen to the adults. They know what they are talking about and are just trying to prepare you for life ahead. 
  3. Learn discipline at a young age... It will help later in life with more things than you know. 
  4. Go to college right away. Don't take "time off" after high school because it makes it harder to go back.
  5. Love and respect your parents. They just want what's best for you and one day, you will look back and realize that they were right.
For the most part, I don't live my life with regrets and I don't regret my youth. It has made me who I am today. I do think that if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I probably would do some things a little different. Maybe that's the same thing as regret, but for me, I associate regret with resentment or a negative feeling. I don't resent my past decisions... I am at peace with them. That's why I believe I don't live with regret.

It's too bad my 16 year old self was such a know it all. Perhaps if she wasn't, things today would come a little easier.

What would you say to your 16 year old self?


5 comments:

  1. I think I would tell the 16 year old me to not care so much. Take your time, and don't feel rushed. Be unique and don't let what others might think have any influence on you. And also, you do not need any one else-especially a guy. Be independant and feel proud of your own accomplishments. Don't trust guys! And lastly, always show your love for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALWAYS show love for your mother! The 16 year old me was HORRIBLE to my mom! I like the part about being unique and not letting what others might think influence you. I would definitely tell the 16 year old me that, too!

      Delete
  2. I know this was supposed to resonate with me in other more-profound ways. But, dude, are you really 33?! Holy crap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that comment about you being 33 made me laugh...I too was horrible to my mom, and agree with what you and jenna said...I don't think 16 yr old me would listen...

    ReplyDelete