Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin French Toast

I saw this pin for Pumpkin French Toast on Pinterest the other day and knew I was going to have to try it! French toast is my favorite breakfast and I love all things pumpkin. Once I looked at the recipe and realized it was a baking recipe and I wouldn't actually have to put the stuff in a pan, I was even more excited.

I followed the recipe pretty closely. I didn't use the entire loaf of bread. There was maybe two slices I didn't use, plus the heels, but who actually uses those?

I got a little impatient with the "topping" mixture because the butter I used wasn't quite soft enough so it was taking more arm muscle and energy than I was willing to spend on it. So I added a little more of the butter. This made it turn more into something that was spreadable, not so much sprinkle-able. I did my best to sprinkle anyway.

The general consensus of the house was it was a hit! The error I made with the topping being more spreadable ended up being a good thing and when I make it again next time, I might just make more of it It gave it a glazed effect that was absolutely delicious.

OH! Be forewarned!! If you don't already have crushed cloves on hand, they are PRICEY!!! $10 for a bottle and all I needed was 1/4 of a teaspoon. I was considering foregoing the cloves when I was fortunate enough to find some off Mexican brand that came in a cellophane bag for $.99. Huh, maybe that was why we felt funny after eating it. Was it really cloves in that baggie? Just kidding, just kidding. We all felt fine!


4 comments:

  1. Haha spices in a baggy could get you in trouble :) I'm glad this cooking project was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO...you're funny! My mom makes a really good french toast casserole and i dont even like french toast! I would try yours though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might I encourage you to take your food photos BEFORE everyone dives in? Dude.

    Looks yummy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I know, but it smelled so good and we were all so hungry I forgot to snap a shot before we dug in. Either way, the picture does it no justice. I need to take some courses in photography.

    ReplyDelete