Friday, March 2, 2012

Chicken & Dumplin Casserole

I love... I mean, LOVE, comfort food. One of my favorites is Chicken & Dumplins. A friend of ours makes some of the best. She's given me the recipe, but it intimidates me. Boil a whole chicken? I've never even boiled a chicken breast. LOL

So when I found a pin for a Chicken & Dumplin Casserole, I was pretty stoked to try it out.


I got the full recipe from the Plain Chicken blog, which I copy and pasted below:

  • 3-4 cups of cooked chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 can Campbell's cream of chicken soup
  • 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (optional)

Preheat oven to 400.

Melt butter in the microwave and pour into bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Shred the chicken and spread it on top of the butter.

Whisk together the milk and the flour, baking powder and salt.  Slowly pour over the chicken.  Don't stir.

Whisk together chicken broth and cream of chicken soup. Pour in veggies and gently stir in broth and soup mix. Pour soup over the flour and milk mixture.  Don't stir.

Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes, or until dumplings are golden brown.


The original recipe didn't call for mixed veggies, but K loves a veggie and always says Chicken n Dumplins would be better with veggies in it, so I tried it. It turned out OK, I think next time instead of  mixing the veggies in with the chicken broth and cream of chicken soup, I will probably put it in the bottom layer with the chicken. 

Overall, it was a pretty tasty dish. Next time, I might take the extra step to do fresh veggies instead of frozen. Key word there? Might.

Bon App├ętit

1 comment:

  1. yum friend!!!i wish there was a version for me to try!!

    ReplyDelete