Friday, March 23, 2012

Magnets

It's not very often that K calls me and says, "Can you stop at Michaels on your way home from work?" So, of course I had to jump at the opportunity.

I guess I had left my Pinterest open on the computer so she started browsing and found this blog about making some fun and simple magnets, so I headed to Michaels and grabbed some supplies.

We never got around to making them that weekend and the following weekend was when I had my Big Plans weekend. I took it upon myself to give her craft a try. (I sound all big and bad, but in reality, I politely asked her if she would mind if I did it without her. LOL Of course she told me to go for it, but to be sure I left her a few to do.)

So here's what I came up with:


They were pretty basic. The bird one is scrapbook paper. (And just for my sister: Check out this clip.) The round daisy one I cut out of a magazine. The other two were photos I had.

All I did was:
  • Trace shape of wood piece on the paper/picture and cut it out. 
  • Used Mod Podge to "glue" it to the wood piece. Allow to dry.
  • Trim excess paper with an exacto knife.
  • Add another layer of Mod Podge to kind of seal the paper to the wood piece. 
  • (Optional) I then put a layer of the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic to give it a more glassy/shiny finish.*
  • If you do the above step, allow at least 24 hours to dry.
  • Sand/file edges to give it a cleaner look.
  • Apply magnet to back of wood piece.
  • Hang on Fridge. 
* I am pretty sure I despise working with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. It is thin and runny so if you touch, tap, or move the wood piece before it has a chance to dry, the Dimensional Magic will start running all over the place and there's no recovering it.

These were super simple. Would make a great gift for just about anyone and the picture/graphic possibilities are endless!


4 comments:

  1. what the h, I think blogger stopped e-mailing me your posts because I never saw this one :(

    I need some magnets for my cubicle and this looks like an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is a pretty awesome idea. I would like pics on magnets too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out good as well. I need to find a good source for stronger magnets. As I've made the glass ones and the bottle cap ones, I find that they are too heavy to actually hold up themselves and a piece of paper against a surface with the average-strength magnets I have. In other news, I just bought a couple of these, which I love: http://www.cb2.com/frames/accessories/red-cable-photo-cord/f7092?fromLocation=search Thought of them because it comes with some VERY strong magnets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered that about the magnets this weekend. I will have to do a little research on strong(er) magnets.

      Delete