Thursday, August 30, 2012

Banana Cookies


K and I have an overabundant amount of borderline rotten bananas in our freezer. I'm not sure how that happens. We have the best of intentions of eating the bananas and then next thing you know, they're all black and we just throw them in the freezer knowing we'll eventually make some banana bread or banana cake.

The other day, I was thinking about it and there are all kinds of banana recipes out there, but I couldn't recall ever seeing a banana cookie recipe. So I went on a mission to find one and came across this one. It claims to be a 70 year old recipe and that was in 2008... so it must be a 74 year old recipe by now. Well, it was an honor to get to try a recipe of such age!

The Recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 1 cup of mashed bananas (about 2 ½ large bananas)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 2 cups of flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground mace or nutmeg I used mace because I'm not a fan of nutmeg, but they're actually quite similar.
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
  • 1 cup of pecans (walnuts and chocolate chips are fine alternatives) 
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
  2. In a bowl, mix the mashed bananas and baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which in turn will give the cookies their lift and rise. 
  3. Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture. Mix together the flour, salt, and spices and sift into the butter and banana mixture and mix until just combined.
  4. Fold into the batter the pecans or chocolate chips if using. Drop in dollops onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.
Makes about 30 cookies.

I didn't have a full bag of chocolate chips so I added them to the last batch and what a difference they made!! The cookies are delicious without them, so don't worry if you don't have any.

 


8 comments:

  1. yummmm! I want to try some! i like the idea of having chocolate chips in them too ....chocolate and bananas just work so well together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate chips were sooooo good! If you like chocolate and bananas, you should go to Trader Joe's and get their bite size ones in the frozen section. Oh. Em. Gee. those are soooooo good!

      Delete
  2. interesting...I have never heard of banana cookies, but I too have that problem where I have left over bananas...I might have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should send me a care package. Think about how clever and crafty and blog-worthy that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I made a breakfast cookie with bananas, oatmeal, and craisins that were pretty good. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipe! These cookies were very moist and sweet- I actually reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup and they were perfectly sweet with some white chocolate chips folded in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad you liked them. Also good to know about using less sugar. Great idea in adding chocolate chips too!

      Delete