Friday, August 17, 2012

Pear Crisp & a Little Blog Bashing

Who needs food staging when you discover Instagram?
Our friends have many fruit trees in their back yard and the other day K came home from their house with a bunch of pears. I knew we wouldn't eat all of them so I went on a mission to find a recipe for a Pear Crisp. The winning recipe came from The Pioneer Woman blog. It also helped that I had all the ingredients on hand!

The Recipe:

FILLING INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 whole (to 5) Large Pears (Bosc Work Well) (I don't even know what a Bosc pear is.)
  • 2/3 cups Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
TOPPING INGREDIENTS
  • 1-1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar (So what that a little extra fell in the bowl when I was getting it into the measuring cup. It didn't hurt anybody.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Pecans, Very Finely Chopped (I don't love nuts so I used 1/2 cup of  Quaker Oats)
  • 1 stick Butter, Melted

Preparation Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Peel the pears (I didn't do this because my hands give me issues and they kept cramping when I was trying to peel them) 
  • Core, and dice pears. 
  • Place into a bowl and stir together with 2/3 cup sugar (I'm not 100% positive all that sugar is necessary - keep reading) and 1/4 teaspoon salt. 
  • Set aside.
  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Stir together. Drizzle melted butter gradually, stirring with a fork as you go until all combined.
  • Pour pears into a baking dish. (I used a 9x9 Pyrex)
  • Top with crumb topping.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
  • Place pan on top rack of oven for an additional 10 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. (I didn't do this last step. I baked it for the 30 minutes on the second to top rack and after the 30 minutes, the topping looked golden brown to me so I skipped the extra 10 minutes on the top rack.)
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. (I absolutely did this!)

So, this is where the blog bashing begins. I think some of these food bloggers aren't always 100% honest. At least this is what I have started telling myself to make me feel better when a recipe doesn't turn out absolutely perfect like the food blog makes it seem. Haha.


My Crisp was crisp, but it was a little (ok, probably more like a lot) soupy underneath. Maybe soupy wasn't the right word because it didn't really ruin the dish, but there was a lot of juice on the bottom that the blog never mentioned. I suspect it might have been from the 2/3 cups of sugar I mentioned earlier that I thought it might not have been necessary to use quite that much. Maybe less sugar would have produced less juice.

Also, I thought the pears would cook more like apples. When you bake apples, they tend to soften - pears do not. Out of the five I cut up, only two were ripe enough to be soft. The others went in the oven hard, and came out of the oven hard. Not rock hard, of course, but definitely not soft like I was thinking they would come out.

Overall, it was good. Would I rush out and buy more pears so I can make it again? Probably not, but if someone were to give us a bunch of pears again, I'd make it again.

Now for a little more blog bashing:

I give myself such a hard time because my pictures don't look as good as "real" food bloggers. Granted, I just discovered Instagram and that seems to help (see demo below), but I don't think I would ever spend the time and energy trying to stage food the way real food bloggers do it. Kudos to them for putting in the effort, though. So, if you're a reader of my blog - you will get crappy pictures, but you will get honest truths about cheffing mishaps, recipe mishaps, and overall reviews. Granted, I wont blog the total disasters (unless it comes with a funny story), but I will give my honest opinion about my recipes. I mean, c'mon, do you really think that every single recipe food bloggers blog turns out amazing and tastes spectacular? I doubt it.

A real food blogger's photo.
My photo before Instagram
My photo after Instagram
 OK, maybe the Instagram doesn't help as much as I thought it did. Well, at least it makes it look like I tried.

What do you think of the new Bon Appetit?

4 comments:

  1. Next time drain the bowl with the pears/sugar/salt mixture. I do that with my apple pie mixture and I get less juice after it's baked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall there being anything to drain. It was all just sugar stuck to the pears.

      Delete
  2. I TOLD you instagram was awesome :) I like both your pictures. I also like that you're honest with how your recipes came out. And I think your pear crisp looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! And your pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete