Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Grandma Merry's Beef Stroganoff

K's most favorite meal is Beef Stroganoff. I may have mentioned in the past, before K and I got together, I didn't make anything that didn't come out of a box. So after I had been cooking for a while, I wanted to try my hand at her favorite dinner.

Her sister provided me with their Grandma Merry's recipe. It is not only delicious, but pretty easy too! It all cooks in one pot making the clean-up quick and easy!

I forgot to take a pic when I cooked it, so these are the leftovers.

Here is the recipe:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 tbsp instant minced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced (I do more of a chop... I'm not a huge fan of the texture of mushrooms so the smaller the better.)
  • 1/4 cup red table wine (I just use water.)
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups uncooked wide noodles
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Paprika (optional - I opt out of this.) 
  • Chopped Parsley (optional - I opt out of this, too.)
Melt butter in large pot. Add ground beef, instant minced onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until meat is no longer red.

While meat and mushrooms are cooking, microwave 1 and 1/4* cup water for about 3 minutes or until boiling. Remove from microwave and add 2 bouillon cubes and juice of the lemon. Stir until bullion cubes are fully dissolved.

*The additional 1/4 cup of water is to substitute for the wine. If you are making it with wine, I suggest not heating it with the water and simply pour it into the pot with the beef bouillon mixture.

Once the meat is cooked, pour beef bouillon mixture into pot and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.

Add noodles (and more water as needed), cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are done.

Add sour cream. (I usually do a little more than 1/2 a cup. Ssshhhh)... Add salt and pepper to taste. (The bouillon cubes make it pretty salty so be sure to taste test before you add the salt and pepper.)

Serve with a side of garlic bread or simply warm french bread with a schmear of butter. A perfect cold and rainy comfort food meal! 

So what it's on a paper plate, Teenah. It's all I had at work.

3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy!!! I want some with just the noodles part and I think if I made it, I would opt in with the paprika. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... Idk why I never use the paprika. *shrug* and if you wanted, you could use that crumble stuff I used to use sometimes, but it might change the flavor. :o\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would use the Quorn brand but yeah that is a good idea!! =)

      Delete