Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lemon Buttercream Frosting


We recently had another good friend celebrate a six year anniversary so, of course, I wanted to bake her a cake! We asked her wife what her favorite cake was and she said lemon cake with lemon frosting. Easy enough, right? Perhaps... but this is me we're talking about. Nothing is ever easy and it's always an adventure.

I was doing this last minute so I just bought a boxed lemon cake mix and was going to make the frosting myself. My intent was to make this one, but somehow missed the frosting that was an ingredient so I didn't get any at the store. Before I even started making it, I was wondering how 2 cups of powdered sugar and a quarter cup butter was going to turn into frosting, but I have taught myself to trust the process... so I started blending the two and immediately knew my first instinct was right. So I looked at the recipe again and that was when I realized I needed frosting. It was already 11:30 at night and I didn't want to go back to the store so I improvised.

I had also pinned this recipe which I knew didn't call for frosting because it needed 3.5 cups of powdered sugar.

Ingredients

How to make it

  • mix the butter, lemon zest and vanilla together, making sure all the lumps are gone.
  • add the milk, and quickly cream it into the butter mixture.
  • by the 1/2 cup, mix in the sugar.
  • once the sugar is all in the bowl, cream on "high" for two minutes. (I use this time to clean up)
  • mix in lemon juice.
  • spread heartily and enjoy!
Photo courtesy of Group Recipes
The other recipe only called for 1/4 cup of butter so I had to get creative in softening the other 1/4 cup of butter.

Then I got to the part with milk and ours was a little expired. I happened to have a can of  Sweetened Condensed Milk so I threw in a quarter cup of that, but it was too thick. I don't think I have ever worked with Sweetened Condensed Milk before - it was not what I was expecting. I didn't want to keep adding that so I said screw it and added a quarter cup of the couple day old milk, crossing my fingers that it wasn't bad. None of us got sick and it got rave reviews! Whew!



4 comments:

  1. Milk is good 7 days past the date on the carton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even Lactose free milk? It already has a shelf life of a month, if not more.

      Delete
  2. mmmm... I love lemon stuff! I always wonder with stuff too that doesn't seem like it will turn into something but usually for me it ends up blowing my mind and turning into whatever it said it would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Sounds delicious!,

    ReplyDelete