Monday, January 21, 2013

Cable Stitch Ear Warmer

Last year, I posted this to Facebook, "Pay it forward 2012. I promise to make something hand made to the first 5 people that comment. Then post this to your status and do the same... It can be as simple as a coffee, hand written note, or something more. Just has to be done in 2012."

I failed. 

The last week in December, I was wracking my brain to remember who the five people were. I told myself I was going to get them something before the end of the year, even if it was just a handmade card. 

I failed again

So I told myself, better late than never and I promised myself to get them something ASAP in 2013 and if I am feeling inspired to keep going, I will repost that post for 2013 and procrastinate till next year again.

Well, with this project, I have one less failure. 1 down, 4 to go. (If you're one of the four left, yours is coming, I promise!)

It's called "Cable Stitch 'Jenna' Headband" from Sadie's Basket.
(Which made it really hard to not want to give this to my good friend Jenna over at Bows and Leopard.)

I think it is more than a headband - it's also an ear warmer so I thought it was the perfect gift for my friend that lives in cold-ass Colorado.

Supplies:
  • Crochet hook ‘I’
  • Simply Soft Yarn
  • 1 or 2 buttons for closure
  • Sewing needle

Abbreviations Used:
  • ch: chain
  • sts: stitches
  • sc: single crochet
  • hdc: half double crochet
  • fptr: front post triple crochet
  • bptr: back post triple crochet

Headband:
-chain 13 (or any number that leaves 4 cable stitches in the middle and an even number of stitches on both sides- So here I wanted 4,4,4 so the ch 13 will make 12 sts)
Row 1: sc in 2nd chain and each remaining chain, turn
Row 2: ch 2 (counts as first hdc here and throughout), hdc in each of the remaining 11 sts, turn (12 sts total)
Row 3: ch 2, hdc in next 3 sts, fptr in post of each of the next 4 hdc, hdc in each of 4 remaining st, turn
Row 4: ch 2, hdc in next 3 sts, bptr in post of each of the 4 fptr, hdc in 4 remaining st, turn
Row 5: ch 2, hdc in next 3 sts, skip the next 2 stitches (sts 1 & 2) and fptr in post of 3rd bptr and 4th bptr, then go back to the 2 skipped sts and fptr in the post of the 1st bptr and 2nd bptr (in that order every time- 3, 4, 1, 2), hdc in remaining 4 sts, turn 
(*make sure when you do the fptr in the 1st bptr and 2nd bptr, you are doing these over top (or in front of) the 3rd and 4th stitches. This is what gives it the cross-over look*)

Row 6: repeat row 4
Row 7: repeat row 5
Row 8: repeat row 4
Row 9: repeat row 5
-Continue this pattern until the headband measures about 19”-20" long, finishing with row 4. (about 20 cross-overs)
-Row ? (however long your headband is): repeat row 3
-Hdc 2 rows as the ending edge. Tie off.

Sew in ends and attach button between the 2 hdc rows at the end. When buttoning the headband, I just slip the button through the middle of the 4 cable stitches- there should be a big enough gap.
 
I struggled a bit with the end. I am pretty sure that was the first time I have ever sewed a button in my life. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart after the first time she uses and. If I lived somewhere colder, I would definitely make one for myself

4 comments:

  1. Cute! You could make some for your norcal peeps, its been freezing cold here!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my headband/ear warmer. LOVE! It's getting "warm" here (high 40's) and I'm eagerly anticipating the next cold spell so I can wear it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting!! The original blogger removed it or her blog so I was very disappointed...until I found yours!!!! Making one per the request of a friend :) She be psyched to hear I found the pattern after all!

    ReplyDelete