Monday, January 14, 2013

Waffle Adventure

As you may or may not know, I got K a waffle iron for Christmas. I have been experimenting with waffle recipes - and by experimenting, I mean throwing a little cinnamon in or adding a little vanilla extract to the recipe on the side of the Bisquick box.

I found a couple different pins on Pinterest and when I pinned this pin claiming to be "The Best Waffles", my friend responded telling me that a recipe called "A Great Make-the-Morning-of Waffle" from Orangette blog were the best.

I am hesitant to make a waffle (or a pancake) with a recipe that doesn't use Bisquick because it is often my excuse to get out of having to make them. "Sorry, love, we're fresh out of Bisquick... How about and egg sandwich?" LOL

Anywho, I was feeling chipper and rather generous this morning so I thought, what they heck... why not? I check the cupboard for ingredients and we have everything except Corn Starch. Off to the store I go.

I get home and this is where the adventure begins. I start pulling the ingredients out of the cabinet and putting them on the counter... Sugar - check. Vanilla - check. Baking soda and powder - check, check. Flour - Check. Damnit! Hidden behind the flour was a box of corn starch. I didn't have to go to the store after all. (When I pulled it off the shelf, I discovered it had expired so it wasn't a totally wasted trip.)

I start measuring and throwing the ingredients in the bowl. I get to the buttermilk part, check the date on the carton - expired. Ugh! It's only a couple days past the expiration, maybe its OK. I open it up and sniff it out. *GAG* Definitely ripe smelling and visibly chunky. Gross.

Welp, I hope it works with a whole cup of whole milk instead of the 1/2 cup of buttermilk the recipe called for. :o\

Pour in the last ingredient, and check the recipe to see what's next. Well, obviously, I was to whisk the ingredients together. However, apparently I was supposed to whisk the powdered stuff together first and then whisk again after I added the liquid stuff. *Sigh* Guess I should have read the directions first.

So, I figure I better read the rest of the directions just in case there's any surprises in the rest of the process and low and behold - there was. "Set aside to rest for 30 minutes." What?! Rest? Why does waffle batter need to rest?!

"Well," I say, "How bout a granola bar to hold over your hunger for 30 minutes while the batter rests?!"

I thought I had learned my lesson in reading the recipe/instructions all the way through. Apparently not. Either way, they turned out pretty amazing. I am not a huge waffle fan so I don't know that I am the best candidate to deem them the "best" waffle.

They were most definitely better than the Bisquick waffles. I really liked the crispy quality of them. The recipe doesn't yield much. It made about 3.5 for us which is perfect for just the two of us, but if you want some to freeze or to snack on later, I recommend doubling the batch. Like I said, I am not a huge fan of waffles so I usually only have one. This time, I kind of wanted two.


A Great Make-the-Morning-of Waffle
Adapted slightly from the “Waffle of Insane Greatness” recipe

This waffle works in any kind of waffle maker.

¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornstarch
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. table salt
1 ½ tsp. sugar
½ cup whole milk
½ cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil, such as canola
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¾ tsp. vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Whisk well. Add the milk, buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk to blend well, so that few (if any) lumps remain. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron. Follow your waffle maker’s instruction manual for this, but my guess is that you’ll want to heat it on whatever setting is approximately medium-high. My waffle maker has a heat dial that runs from 1 to 7, and I turned it to 5. There’s no need to grease the waffle maker.

Pour an appropriate amount of batter into your hot waffle maker: this amount will vary from machine to machine, and you should plan to use your first waffle as a test specimen. Cook until golden and crisp.

Yield: depends on the size and configuration of your waffle iron

4 comments:

  1. Hahahaha what a hassle. Sounds soooo good! I'd love to try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! We don't have a waffle iron though...but now I kinda want one :) and I don't think we'll ever learn and always read the recipe first, but that's part of the fun Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can use vinegar + milk to make buttermilk!

    Glad you liked them, they are my favorite waffle to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made these twice now, once I let them set for 30 minutes and once I didn't, there was no noticeable difference :)

    ReplyDelete