Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cinnamon Chocolate Banana Cake



Last time I went to the doctor, I was told I was lacking some nutrient you get from Cinnamon. She said eat a lot of it... put it on everything you can. I wonder if eating cinnamon in recipes like this counts? If so, I will get my fair share of cinnamon in my diet!

I found this recipe from a blog I read regularly, The Idea Room.

The Recipe:

1 cup butter  
1 cup sugar
2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 dash salt
3 cups flour
1 pint sour cream (2 cups) or vanilla yogurt (I used sour cream)

Blend butter, sugar, bananas, eggs and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients. 
In separate bowl make the filling.

Filling:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) (Normally I would leave these out, but I used a little this time)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional) (I used mini chocolate chips)

Layer batter and filling twice in a 9X13 dish. Bake 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

* Sometimes the middle of the cake needs to bake longer.  If so, put foil over the cake after the 45 minutes and bake it for another 5 minutes.  Test with a toothpick in the middle to see if the batter sticks to it, if it comes out clean…the cake is finished.

The Review

YUM! Next time I will definitely leave out the nuts. (I end up picking them out anyway.) I think I must have been unsure how far the filling would go because I used it sparingly in the first layer and then over did the top layer. I think next time I will go heavy on the filling and light on the topping.

I think I could have cooked it a little longer, but I didn't have toothpicks to make an accurate check so I just guessed. I'm not really sure if it's undercooked or just a little gooey from the bananas. Speaking of bananas, I might put in one more next time.

Overall the cake was awesome. K enjoyed it too. I still liked my Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting better, but this cinnamon cake is not as dense as that one and is a little bit easier to make.


3 comments:

  1. Friend, the Dr will not agree with you getting your cinnamon on any recipe that includes an entire cup of butter...it looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Butter schmutter... You mean to tell me the cup of butter wont help my cholesterol?!

      Delete
  2. YUmmm looks soo good! I love a dessert with a banana in it!

    ReplyDelete