Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014 Goals

Well, I failed at the daily gratitude for November, let's see if I do better with my 2014 goals!

I am not big on New Year's resolutions because, for me, they don't get much thought beyond January 2nd. So this year I decided to just make some 2014 "goals." I know, I know... It's just semantics, right? Isn't resolution just a fancy way of saying goal? Yes, yes it is... however, it's January 14th and I am still thinking about these goals so I am already way ahead of all my past resolutions!

In order to try and keep myself accountable, I thought I would share my goals on here. My intent is to blog my progress on them as I go along to help keep me motivated and interested! 

Here's what we're looking at:

This is something I have been wanting to do since my Pinterest infatuation. First, I must acquire a sewing machine. If you have one that's collecting dust in the back of you closet, I'd be happy to take it off your hands! :o)

I want to read 52 books in 2014. That's a book a week... I am already behind on this one, but I get on reading kicks where I read a book every few days so I am pretty sure I can make up lost time for this one. I will blog my progress and provide reviews. You can also check out what I'm up to in the book world on Goodreads.

I already volunteer a couple times a week walking rescue dogs at the shelter we got our cat from, but I want to do more. I really want to work with the elderly somehow. And maybe get back into Relay for Life. I just want to do more. I cant do much financially, but there's no reason I can't give my time. 

If you know me, you know I have a passion for Random Acts of Kindness. My goal this year is to do at least one a month. Obviously more is welcome, but one a month is my goal. Can be anything - send a card to a friend to brighten their day, pay for a stranger's coffee, leave change on a vending machine, feed a parking meter, take baked goods to a local fire house... You get the gist, big or small, just do something unexpected for someone. 

Multiply that by about 10 and that's my goal! I am tired of being unhealthy and feeling like a busted can of biscuits when I get dressed every day. If I can shed 50 lbs this year - even 30 - I'd feel sooo much better. And if I can actually make this happen by October, that'd be even better since I have to get into a dress for one of my best friend's weddings. :o)

Yoga isn't easy for a big chested girl. Especially one that has some extra rolls around the middle! LOL But I took yoga for one of my college PE credits and I remember my body just feeling better when I did it. I ached less, I moved more easily. Plus, with my career change, I could use a little stress relieving breathing and meditation. Whether it be yoga through the local college, at a studio, or at home in front of my TV, I want to give yoga another try. 

Idk if it just became over all trendy or if it's normal that when you hit your 30's you start running 5k's, but it seems like I hit my 30's and all of a sudden, running a 5k was the thing to do. All my friends were doing it. I kid, but at the same time, they all inspire me. Now, I despise running. I am not graceful when I do it and this is another one of those big chested girl issues. It's uncomfortable (and a little painful) to run with those things bouncing to and fro, but I want to give it a shot. If I don't make it to a 5k, I will be ok with being able to run just a mile. 


I think it would be fun for K & I to take a class together. Perhaps an art class would be fun. Although, I'm not going to lie - K is really talented in that department and I would be afraid I would get discouraged by her skills and my lack there of. I also think it would be fun to take a language class together. Spanish would be most beneficial considering where we live, but I have taken a semester of sign language and really enjoyed it. Such a beautiful way to communicate. Plus, if K likes it I think being an interpreter would be a perfect career change for her!

And last, but certainly not least... I want us to have special, meaningful dates at least once a month. It says date night, but with our funky schedules it's subject to change. Couples tend to get complacent in relationships and sometimes I think that we are getting there. We get so caught up in the daily grind and surviving, we forget to have fun. So my hope is that we get creative and think outside of the box so we can connect in love and laughter and not get stuck in the daily grind rut! 

So there you have it folks. Stay tuned for progress updates throughout the year!
Did you set any goals for 2014? If so, feel free to share them and share your progress too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment