Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lemon Cake for Kamtastic!

The photos wont do this particular blog any justice because well, I didn't take any because I didn't think I'd be blogging it because it's not what I do these days. However, I am on vacation this week so I was feeling some blog motivation!

Here's the best picture I have:


I told you the pic wouldn't do the cupcakes justice. Don't worry, I'll get to the decorations!

I got the recipe from Martha Stewart's website. I know, I cringed too, but I wanted to make something special and from scratch so I gave her a shot. The recipe is for cake, but I made cupcakes since I thought they'd be easier to have at beach bonfire b-day party.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pans
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest (I used a total of 4 lemons for the whole recipe.)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs plus 3 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
  • Lemon Buttercream frosting

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch cake pans, tapping out excess flour. (Or put cupcake liners in a cupcake pan) In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
  2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
  3. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. (Or fill cupcakes about 3/4 of the way full - I did still smooth the tops, but I'm not sure it was necessary.) Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 32 to 35 minutes. (Or bake cupcakes for 20 minutes - until a tooth pick comes out clean.) Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack.
  4. These next two steps pissed me off. Once again, I didn't fully read the recipe before committing to making it. It wasn't as big of a pain as I thought it was going to be, but it annoyed me none the less. While cakes are baking, bring remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add lemon slices and simmer 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer lemon slices to a waxed-paper-lined plate. Stir remaining 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice into syrup.
  5. Using a toothpick, poke holes in warm cakes on rack. Brush with lemon syrup. Let cool completely. Frost cooled cupcakes and top with candied lemon slices. <~ I skipped this last part. 

    We tested them out before frosting them and they were lemony delicious!!! They were so lemony, I almost skipped the lemon frosting. Once they were frosted with the lemon buttercream frosting tho, you could barely tell the cupcake was lemon too! I do think if I were to make them again, I would skip the lemon frosting. The lemon cupcakes were too much work to not give them the spot light! 


    Ok, for the decorations. I saw a pin on Pinterest where someone put they're kid's pic on cupcakes for their 1st b-day and I thought it was hilarious. I had to do it! So I sent my friend's wife a text and asked her for a funny picture of her. She sent me one, I had 25 wallets printed out, I glued/Mod Podged the pics to scrap paper and I got to cutting them out. (You could skip the gluing to scrapbook paper part if you want, I just wanted them to have pretty backs.) Once they were all cut out, K glued tooth picks to the backs and we stuck them in the cupcakes. 

    They were a hit! Party guests thought they were hysterical and dubbed them the "Redneck Army". LOL! They seemed to enjoy the cupcake, as well! 

    Good times! Happy Birthday Kamtastic!
     


2 comments:

  1. Ha! Redneck army! They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww looks like so much fun! I'm glad they came out well for her birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete