Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Carmelita Melt Down

A couple of weekends ago, the SIL and I got into a serious baking kick. I think we baked four different sweet recipes. Ridiculous.

She made these things called Carmelitas. They are delicious, but a little on the rich side. Of course, K loved them. At first I was just like, "of course she does". It wasn't until the SIL said that the Carmelitas reminded them of something their grandma made that I decided I would make them for K sometime in the future.

The SIL got the recipe from Lulu the Baker. She doubled her recipe and I was debating doubling mine. K loves a sweet after dinner and the SIL said it freezes well so I figured, what the heck... I would go ahead and double the recipe.

The Recipe
32 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda.
Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust.
Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel.
Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.

*A stint in the fridge will help them cool off if you're pinched for time. They shouldn't be served cold, but all of that molten caramel takes a long time to cool down. They should be stored and served at room temperature.

**To make a 9x13" version, simply double the amounts. 

The key word there? "Simply". Apparently in the world of me, doubling a recipe isn't so simple.

I didn't double the flour. I thought I doubled the butter but in hind sight, my math brain was taking the day off and what I thought was a cup and a half of butter was really just the 3/4 cup it called for. And in reviewing this recipe for the blog, I am pretty sure I didn't put the full amount of brown sugar in.

Hence, the "Carmelita Melt Down".


The SIL "Melt Down"

Despite the melt down, and it being more caramel than anything else, they were still a hit. K devoured them, the SIL had an even bigger meltdown when she attempted to warm it to put over ice cream (above), and my boss nearly put himself into a sugar induced coma because he ate so many of them.

So, I guess even with major mistakes, it was still a hit and comes highly recommended. I think from now on I will stick with the recipe and stay away from doubling.



8 comments:

  1. daang this looks soooo yummy!! I looove caramel!! make some for me. :) ... you know what would be awesome? if you could somehow use the caramel from starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! Isn't the caramel from Starbucks THE BEST caramel EVER?!

      Delete
  2. ha! it looks delicious! I usually have to write out the new amounts of everything if I'm going to double a recipe just so I don't think I did when I didn't :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a really good, logical, common sense sort of idea. Not really sure why I didn't think of that. I guess I just thought I was bad ass enough to not do it. LOL

      Delete
    2. I used to think I was too, hahaha

      Delete
  3. this recipe reminds me of apple crisp (because of the oats)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Apples in this recipe would be ah-mazing! I might have to try that next time! Thanks for the idea!

      Delete