Friday, April 13, 2012

Parmesan Garlic Pasta



 This dish (found on this blog via Pinterest) is perfect for my household for four reasons:

  1. I love all things garlic.
  2. I love a quick and simple meal.
  3. K cant do red sauces so this creamy white is perfect. 
  4. My good friend Ms. Rink always enjoys my recipe blogs, but she's vegetarian so a lot of my dishes would require alteration. This one, Ms. Rink, is already vegetarian, just-for-you! :o) No altering necessary!
The Recipe:
2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
¼  tsp salt
½ tsp pepper (I left this out. K literally cant do any spice.)
3 cups chicken stock (I used broth - is there really a difference?)
½ lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I would say this is optional, but it does give it a nice pop of color.)

In a pot, bring the olive oil to medium-low heat. Add the garlic and stir, allowing it to cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the butter until melted. Add the salt, pepper and chicken stock. Raise the heat to high and let it come to a boil. 

Once it is at a rolling boil, add the pasta and cook for as long as the box’s directions indicate. Reduce the stove to medium heat and mix in the parmesan until completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream and parsley. Serve immediately.

Add a little broccoli to top it off and vuala! You have a perfect meal.  

The Finished Product:


The Review:
Mine turned out on the salty side which baffled both me and the sister-in-law so we went on a mission to identify the saltiness. 
  • Sure, chicken broth tends to be salty, but that shouldn't have been it. 
  • I didn't use fresh garlic, I used Dorot Crushed Garlic frozen cubes. They had salt in the ingredients, but it was the second to last ingredient, so that couldn't have been it. 
  • We brain stormed a little more, and then she tasted the parmesan I used. AHA! That was it! I used the fresh grated parmesan that comes in pre-packaged tubs in the refrigerator section. 
What I will do different next time: 
  • I will suck it up and by a hunk of parmesan and grate it myself to see if that will help with the saltiness.
  • I will also forgo the 1/4 tsp salt the recipe calls for. 
  • Could add chicken.
  • Serve with garlic bread! (I don't know how this didn't happen to begin with.)

2 comments:

  1. Yayyy! This looks sooooo good!!! I want to try it! Do you think it would taste the same or still good using vegetable broth instead? Garlic bread would be a garlic heaven! :) Anf the brocolli looks really yummy with it too... man I think when I get a fridge and stuff, I might make this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would totally work with vegetable broth!

      Delete