Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mexican Casserole

Or Mexican Schlopp. At least that's what it looks like. Or White Person's Mexican Surprise. (You'll understand why in the ingredients.)*

I have also heard it called something like Enchilada Pie (which would probably be the more politically correct name.)

Whatever you want to call it, it is one of my most favorite meals. I don't cook it very often because it's too much for just two people and I am not good about freezing and eating later, so a lot of it tends to go to waste.

Anyway, here's a sneak peak and the recipe:


Ingredients

Ground Meat of some sort (I have used ground beef or turkey)
Taco Seasoning (I actually found some Jennie-O already seasoned ground turkey - fancy!)
8-10 Corn Tortillas 
1 can Chili
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup*
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup*
1 small can of Sliced Olives (optional)
1 can of Corn (optional)
1 jar (12 oz.) La Victoria Green Taco Sauce

Desired amount of the shredded cheese of your choice
Sour Cream

Directions

Preheat oven to 350. 
Brown meat and add taco seasoning according to package.
Cut tortillas into bite size pieces and throw in large mixing bowl. Pour all other ingredients except the cheese and sour cream into the mixing bowl. Stir together.
Put the taco meat on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan and pour the mixture over the meat, spreading evenly.
Sprinkle desired amount of cheese on top.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden to your liking. 
Serve hot... garnish with sour cream and/or hot sauce if you so desire.

Like I said, this is one of my favorite meals. It's not the healthiest of meals, but it sure is tasty. I have spiced it up quite a bit and have considered adding rice to it, but I'm not sure if it would dry it out too much. I have even made this a vegetarian dish. So far, I haven't served it to anyone that didn't like it. 

* I don't know any true Mexican that cooks an authentic Mexican dish with cream of any kind of soup.

Bon Appetite


2 comments:

  1. yummmm, that sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare you to put that in you nutrition calculator!

    ReplyDelete