Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Happily Ever After

September 22, 2013, our sweet niece got her "happily ever after" and married her high school sweet heart and best friend. It was a beautiful day and K and I were most grateful they shared their day with us!

I, of course, gave them hand made gifts. It wasn't really what was on their registry, but I hope the like it just the same. 

First up, the blanket of love.

I had actually been working on this since the beginning of the year. I wasn't 100% certain who the intended owner was when I started it, but I always had my niece and her love in the back of my mind. When K and I realized we were going to be able to make the trip and be at the wedding, I knew this was going to be for them.

There's nothing fancy to the crochet pattern. I chained 100-and-something chains (until I got it to the desired width). Then I double crocheted one row and single crocheted the next two rows until I got it to the desired length.

Next up is the Christmas ornament using their wedding invitation. I got this idea from "... from glitter to gumdrops".

Thankfully, the retail industry starts shoving Christmas down your throat these days before summer is over so I was able to get the glass ornaments from Michaels.

All I did for this sweet little gem is cut their invitation into strips. (I didn't measure the size... I just eyeballed the font/wording. Sometimes it backfired, but I think it is one of those things that only I would notice because I am my own worst critic.)

I used the whole invitation - so even the parts that didn't have writing on it, I cut into strips. The back of the invitation had a cool grey pattern on it so I rolled those pieces so that side showed to give it some color variety.

Once all the strips are cut, I rolled them around a pen and tucked it into the ball. You cant see it in this pic, but I rolled some of them in a spiral just to give some of the curls a different texture.

Their invitation had a yellow ribbon wrapped around it to keep everything together so I used that too and tucked it in with the invitation curls.

You don't have much control on how the spirals fall. I just shook it up until it was presentable enough. It will be interesting to see how this holds up. I cant help but think that as the years pass, the paper will collapse and the ball will look less full. We shall see.

I think this is such a sweet way to memorialize the invitation. I am kind of sentimental so throwing away special things like wedding invitations, baby announcements, graduation announcements, etc sometimes doesn't feel right, but could you imagine what a hoarder I would become if I kept every little thing someone sent me or invited me to?! This sweet project is a great way for me to feel like I am doing something special with it and not just throwing it in the trash.

Again, I am so glad that K and I were able to be a part of their special day. Our niece was a beautiful bride and is one of the sweetest people I know. She deserves all her dreams to come true and a lifetime of love and happiness and I believe she has found someone that will give her just that! We love you M & N and are soooo happy for you both. XO

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! I love the sunflowers! You did a great job on the blanket! And I feel the same way about throwing away sentimentals papers too.

    ReplyDelete