Friday, August 31, 2012

Not So Delicious Baked Fajitas


My sister and I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes and then sharing them with each other. She swore by this one. Said it was so good, she was making a second batch to throw in the freezer so I thought these were a win. Easy and delicious, she claims.

Easy, yes. Delicious? We'll get to that.

The Recipe:
from Six Sisters' Stuff

(Serves 4-6)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced
2 T vegetable oil
2 t. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. salt
12 flour tortillas, warmed to serve


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 13×9 baking dish. Mix together chicken, tomatoes, chilies, peppers, and onions in the dish.

In a small bowl combine the oil and spices. Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and toss to coat.

Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.

Serve with warmed tortillas and enjoy!

They look delicious. They smelled delicious. They were, however, less than delicious. They weren't disgusting, just not delicious like I was expecting. Like my sister made them out to be.

I think part of the issue was that we used corn tortillas... and I was too lazy to warm them so they were tearing apart and messy. IF I were to make them again, I would definitely opt for flour tortillas. However, since the post-dinner conversation went like this:

Me: Should I just throw them away now, or should I put them away and throw them away in a few days.

K: I say just throw them away now.

I highly doubt we'll be making these again.

If you wish.

4 comments:

  1. OH NO!!!! I hate when that happens :( I was hoping it would be awesome. But yeah, cold corn tortilla are kinda nasty :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you just didn't do it right? Hahaha.

    Actually my first batch was better than the frozen batch because first batch I used red peppers and chipotle instead of green peppers and chiles. Tastier, for sure. I also put some kickin' habenero sauce when serving. Oh well. To each their own. I liked the ease, prep-ahead and nutrition of it. It's a good recipe for that. I'll make it again. It sure is easier busting out the cast iron skillets for the full fajita experience.

    It's too bad you have that crap electric stove. Takes an extra 2 min to toast a corn tortilla on the open flame of a gas stove. Makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. t sure is easier *than* busting out the cast iron skillets for the full fajita experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it looks yummy!! i say try it again! i want some!

    ReplyDelete