Wednesday, June 27, 2012

World Champions!!

Disclaimer: This post may be a little long... especially considering those that might not love baseball so much. 

The 2010 season was - by far - THE best season for the Giants and for me and K.

It started out in Arizona at Spring Training.


My mom happened to be on her yearly trip to Arizona at the same time we were going to be there for Spring Training so we bought her a ticket, gave her a Cubbies hat (even thought that wasn't even who we were playing) and had a great time. Quite possibly my first baseball game ever with my mom! That drunken fool was our host for this fun-filled weekend. (He wasn't really that drunk.) Him and his wife we super nice, cooked amazing meals, and were fantastic hosts!

Here's one of the whole crew that weekend:


SO much fun! If you are a baseball fan and have never been to Spring Training - GO!!! It's fun, cheaper thank regular season, the stadiums are smaller and more intimate, and despite the Arizona heat, I am 99.9% sure you will enjoy it!

Back to California we went. K's wonderful sister bought us tickets to the home opening game. We were SO excited to go, not only because it was opening day, but also because it was our first game with our two sweet nieces. We just had to get ourselves up to the Bay Area. We did that...


And then? The game had a gnarly rain delay. We waited and waited and waited... we stuck around as long as we could, but because of the long drive home and having to work the next day, we had to leave. Of course, shortly after we left, the rain left with us and the game started. A friend of mine of FB even posted an amazing picture of the park with a rainbow... a freaking rainbow! And we missed it all. :o(

Next up? A night game with my sister and nephew! I wanted desperately to go to a night game. On TV you see people all bundled up, sipping hot chocolate - miserable to most people, but for some reason, I wanted to experience that camaraderie. As you can see by the pictures below, as any typical day in San Francisco, we started the day in t-shirts and ended it with beanies, gloves, and sweatshirts!


After that, we took a break. Since we live outside of the area, we had to listen to the games on the internet radio, usually hovered over a puzzle, but we were tuned in the majority of the season. If we couldn't listen to the game, we were plugged into our phones, staying connected.

Then came September. K and I decided to do a little weekend getaway to San Diego. I can't remember if we went there with the intent of going to the game. I don't think we did, and if that was the case, I am pretty sure K went with the intent of going to the game -- she just forgot to clue me in on it. I can't remember.

Anyway, like true form to us... we had so much fun at the first game, we bought tickets for the rest of the games that weekend. A splurge I am positive we shouldn't have done, but it was well worth it!

The second day was September 11th and they brought this amazing flag onto the field. It was quite emotional. I'm not sure why I don't have more pictures of this game... perhaps because my camera had that weird hue to it so I didn't take many. But here's what made the whole splurge of a weekend worth it...


K, in her 38 years of being a faithful Giants fan, having gone to numerous games, and never getting a ball her entire life, got not one... not two... but THREE balls!! She got them all during batting practice, but whatever! She was the happiest I think I have ever seen her... perhaps even happier than our wedding day. LOL I am a little embarrassed to admit that I can't remember who the third one came from.
  1. Jeremy Affeldt - Relief Pitcher
  2. Dave Righetti - Pitching Coach
  3. Aaaaannnnnnnddd.... *Shrug* 
I am sure it's someone fabulous that I am going to feel like an idiot for not remembering later.

Then... then... came the BEST GAME EVER! 
My awesome sister lives in Chicago. Chicago has one of the oldest, coolest stadiums in the MLB - Wrigley field, of course. We planned our trip specifically for when the Giants would be in town. We went, fully expecting to get tickets of Stub Hub. But then... my awesome sister tells me that my even awesomer brother-in-law got us tickets from a co-worker with season tickets, or something. I thought, "Right on. I bet they'll be decent seats if they are from a season ticket holder." 

My sister sends me the seating "assignment" and was all nonchalant like, "Are those good?" She doesn't love baseball like I do, so perhaps she didn't really know, but I looked them up online and OH! MY! GAWD! THEY WERE NINE ROWS BEHIND HOME PLATE!!! Best seats of.my.life.

  1. There's Kelly with the infamous Ivy. We were like kids in a candy store and all the Wrigley staff were super nice. If I was more prepared for this blog and wanted to put more energy into it, there are about 100 more pics I could dig up and share, including a certificate they gave us for it being our first time at Wrigley. Awesome hospitality!
  2.  There's a view of our seats.That's Buster Posey at bat. Don't worry, we'll get to him. 
  3. Clearly, we kicked ass and took names! Such a fun game! 
Since I brought up Buster Posey, I might as well talk about him now. We brought him up to the big leagues sometime near the end of 2009, but I don't really remember him much until the 2010 season. He was, and is, AMAZING! Star catcher, fantastic batter, young, and adorable. Just what the Giants needed. Our current catcher was decent, but getting up there in years and didn't just have the spunk that this kid brought. Here he is - absolutely adorable and bad ass all at the same time. Not only that, but he became my new, and current, favorite Giant:
 
 
Wait.  I feel like I am missing some games. In fact, I know I am. 
So, in my other blog about the Giants I mentioned that my first love was Pablo "Panda" Sandoval and how he was the player that was on my first Giants t-shirt. At one of the games, they were selling grab bags that had a mixture of Giants paraphernalia in it and, if you were lucky, a signed ball by one of the players. I, of course, didn't want to do it, but K insisted. So, we buy a grab bag and open it up as we're walking away. K opens it up and ... pulls out a ball! You can never read their autographs, but under his autograph was the number "48".
K was like, "who is 48?"
"I don't know," I reply... Couple seconds of us wracking our brains... My eyes light up and, "HONEY! What number is on the back of my shirt?!!!!"
K, "HOLY SHIT! It's 48! This is Panda's ball!"
We were elated.

The All-Star game was held in Anaheim for 2010. They had some contest where they had a Mickey Mouse in all the different team's gear located throughout California. If you went around to each one and took your pic with them, you could submit it to someone and you could win 4 tickets to the All-Stars game. K and I didn't care much about that, but we of course googled where the Giants Mickey was. It was conveniently located at Fashion Island, right here in Orange County. So we headed out there to get a pic of the Giants Mickey:


Ultimately, the Giants made it to the play-offs. We were SO excited. During the playoffs was when our closer, Brian Wilson, started the "Fear the Beard" frenzy.


There is a big back story about Brain's beard, but I will spare you. If you're a fan and reading, you already know the story. If you're not a fan and REALLY want to know, leave a comment and I will share it.

We won the first round!! We were the 2010 National League Champions! We could hardly stand the excitement ahead. We watched every game (at this point, all the games are televised so we tuned in!) The games were intense!

Halloween weekend and we were in the last series of the playoffs. We drove up North to surprise K's sister and celebrate in the Giants glory (you don't find much Giants glory down in Southern California). We had a great time getting to watch the game with a house full of Giants loving family was a blast and made us a little homesick. Perhaps we could get used to this?

I had to work on Monday, so we had to go home. We went home with the Giants only needing to win one more game to become the World Champions. We watched the game Monday night and I'll be damned!


We whooped and hollered and shed a few tears! What an amazing season. It was the first time the Giants had won it in 53 years! Needless to say, those life long fans were elated!!!! It was a time to celebrate!!

Remember I said we drove home on Sunday and they won Monday. Well on Tuesday, K calls me and says, I am going back up North for the victory parade. What? We just got home! And I have to work!! OK, hold on... let me talk to my boss. I begged. I explained it's a once in a lifetime chance. I promised him I would be back on Thursday to help with the event we had been planning for months. He finally gave me the green light.

So after getting home late Sunday, we turned around and drove the 8+ hours back up North Tuesday afternoon. We arrived in Vacaville at about 1am on Wednesday, went to bed at maybe 3am and were back up at 5am to meet two of K's sisters so we could drive to concord and hop on BART.

Got to the City. I got separated from them in the BART Station. If it weren't for K's uber tall sister with bright red hair, I might have never found them again!! Thank goodness for her! We walked around for a few hours, bought a bunch of t-shirts, and finally found a spot to watch the parade. (Again, if I wanted to put in more time and energy, I would have a lot more pictures, but ... this is what you get.)

This is us being silly on BART on the way there. We weren't quite that cute on the way home. You see all those people in the second picture? Yeah... those people were trying to get home on BART the same time we were. We were hot and packed like smelly sardines on the way home. It was a time to remember!

Here's a more accurate glimpse of just how many people came out to celebrate their team:


It was in-sane! I am glad I went. I am glad I can say I was there. I am also glad to say that when they win it again, I will stay home with the kids and watch the parade from home. LOL

We made it home by about 3am on Thursday morning and I had to be at work by 8am. The most memorable, most insane, most fun trip up North we've had! 

You see? The 2010 season rocked for us in more ways than one! Eventually, we want to be able to watch the Giants in every stadium out there. Our next stop is going to be the Colorado Rockies. Keep the sheets clean, Lisa because you're never really sure when we might show up. (OK, you could probably narrow it down to a few dates per year, but you get what I'm saying. :o)

To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. AWww thats so exciting for you friend!

    ...were you really wearing the shirt with 48 on it at the time when she got the ball and you couldnt figure out whose number it was? LOL...

    ...I'd like to hear about the background story of the fear the beard guy... i was always curious about it and everyones fascination with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embarrassing about the shirt, I know. I still don't really know all their numbers. :o\

      Delete
  2. Zzzzzzzz.... huh? what? Did you say something? Ya lost me at "spring training." Brief stir of interest at your awesome sister in Chicago, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete