Friday, June 22, 2012

Love Affair with the San Francisco Giants




I have always had a love for baseball (usually live baseball that included my nephews playing) and I grew up in the Bay Area. I even worked for Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T, who own the Giants baseball stadium, but I was never really a Giants fan. To be honest, I haven't been much of a pro-sports fan ever. Of course I would jump at the opportunity to go to a professional game. Who wouldn't? It's such a fun atmosphere, full of energy and fun people to watch. It's a guaranteed good time!

It wasn't until 2009 when K and I started dating that I fell in love with the Giants. Almost her entire family not only love the Giants, but have been life long fans. One of the few times I got to meet her dad before he passed away was spent in front of the TV watching a 15 inning game. I caught on quick that it would be in my best interest to learn to the love Giants.

It didn't take much. This team full of a "cast of characters" had me from the beginning.


Pablo Sandoval, aka "The Panda" was my first favorite. How can you not love a guy called The Panda because he looked like the Kung Fu Panda. Not to mention he was probably the best player on the team at the time. It is his name and number that is on the back of my first Giants t-shirt.


The infamous 2-time Cy Young award winning, pot smoking pitcher, Tim "Timmy" Lincecum , aka "The Freak" that had an uncanny awkward likeness to the kid from Dazed and Confused.


Freddy Sanchez and all his weird faces he makes when he's at bat. It took me a while to love this guy, but I eventually did.




Let's not forget the uncomfortable batting stance of Aaron Rowand.


Oh, and their stadium is A-MAZING! Surrounded by the beautiful City of San Francisco on one side and the Bay on the other. There is no stadium like it! You can take the Ferry in to the City and it drops you off right at the back entrance of the stadium. And I don't know how they know when to start hovering, but somewhere between the 8th and 9th innings, all the seagulls show up waiting to devour the snacks left behind by all the spectators. It is a one of a kind experience. 

 I came in at the back end of the 2009 season, but  knew that it was the beginning of a life long love.

The 2010 season was the best season ever. Even though I had only been a fan a short time, I am pretty sure life long fans would agree that it was the best season ever. Not only was it great for me and K personally, but it was the year the Giants finally became the World Series Champions!!!

Stay tuned for a recap of our 2010 season!

2 comments:

  1. Aww that sounds so exciting! And what is with that guys stance? So weird! And I LOOOVE how somehow the seagulls know when to come for the food in the stadium. That would be cool to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go to a game! I know you're not a huge fan, but the whole experience is fun... and people that don't love the game, still love to go because there is lots of people watching to be done!

      Delete