Friday, April 27, 2012

MAJOR Score!!

I am so excited right now!!

Ever since I have become a Pinterest addict and started reading DIY blogs, I have seen and been inspired by DIY furniture makeovers. I have wanted to try one of my own soooooo bad, but to be honest - I am a little intimidated by it.

We don't really have anything in our current collection that could be re-done. I certainly don't want to spend money on a piece of furniture and then ruin it because I don't really know what I am doing.

I always hear stories (and have read a couple blogs) where people find these amazing pieces of furniture on the side of the road and I always think, "Why can't that happen to me?"

Well... tonight... IT DID!!!

I went to take the trash out and BEHOLD! There was this big wooden box by the dumpster. It was dark, so I pulled out my trusty phone, clicked on my flashlight app and it was like I could hear the glory music playing behind me.

And this is what I found:

Not that exciting, right? Keep reading...
Still not sure what exactly it was, I pulled on the top to see if it opened and it didn't budge. So I slid it out so I could look at the back... where I saw hinges. *Eyes getting a little wider* It's a chest! 

I went back to the front of it to see how to open it. As you can see in the picture above, there is a small button. I pressed on it, pulled up the lid and was amazed by its inner beauty:

Please forgive the picture quality. 

It's insides are full of gorgeous cedar! I FOUND ME A CEDAR CHEST!!!  For free!! That I can re-do without worrying about messing it up!!!

The green part is the lining to a shelf attached to the lid. Seriously? I found the mother lode with this thing! 

Salvaging this was quite comical. K was already in bed so I had to recruit the SIL to help me. We have a garage, but it's PACKED with stuff. Like every time we open the garage door I just get overwhelmed and want to close it right up! I asked the SIL to get the garage door opener... "Get my car keys, too," I yell after her. If we cant fit her in the garage, she's going in the back of my car until we can find her a home!!

Shaking her head the entire time, my SIL opened the garage. Right in the front was the perfect spot for it. I just needed to move a couple of boxes and she slid right in! 

Just to give you an idea of exactly how excited I am about this (just in case you hadn't already figured out how excited I am)... After putting it in the garage, I came inside and woke K up just to show her the pictures. She was a good sport though and did her best to look at the pics through her sleepy, groggy, eyes. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been nearly as gracious had she woken me up for something like this.

I can't wait to see what I can turn this beauty into! I just need to find someone that has an electric sander because sanding her by hand may take a while, not to mention - make my fingers bleed, kill my arm muscle, and bore me to tears.

Stay tuned!! :o)

What would you do with this beaut if she was yours??

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome friend! I can't wait to see what you do with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent find! Can't wait to see the after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome! I love when you can find something for a good deal, and for free is even better! I think a leopard print painted on would be amazing...lol. But that's just me. Are you thinking of making it all one color of doing something else? Maybe you can mod podge or whatever that stuff is some pictures all over it, that'd be cool-Something unique.

    ReplyDelete