Thursday, January 12, 2012

Shirley Temple the Heroine Addict

I am a total and complete reality show junkie. This list of what I will watch is endless... Jersey Shore, The Real Housewives (all of them except Atlanta), Hoarders, So You Think You Can Dance (in my top three favorites), Fear Factor... After fighting it for years, I even started watching the Kardashians. But, one of my all time favorite, in the top three shows, is Intervention.


If you haven't seen it, it's a show about someone who is an addict of some sort who, "does not know they will soon face an intervention." They follow the addict and show real, raw footage of their usage, their highs, their lows, etc. They interview the addict and the family members to find out about the addict's story. What they were like growing up, what they were like before, what went wrong and what they're like now. It's great. I love the show and used to not be able to watch an episode without shedding a tear.

Anyway, this week was more comical than tear jerking. It was about a 21 year old girl who was addicted to heroine. They were doing the infamous family member interview and were talking to the girl's Grandpa. At one point he said when she was little, they called her Shirley Temple because she was so smiley and happy and cute. Later in the interview, he proceeds to say, "I never imagined my little Shirley Temple would turn out like this."

................ Ummm, can you please tell me WHAT person looks at a sweet small child (that reminds them of Shirley Temple, especially) and imagines them growing up and becoming a heroine addict? I felt terrible (ok, maybe not that terrible), but I couldn't help but pause the TV, make fun of him, and laugh a little before resuming the show.

There was another part with the Mom (who was also an addict and in total denial of EVERYTHING) that made me LOL. Apparently when the addict was younger, the Mom tried killing herself by slashing her wrists. The addict found her. :o( Sad, right? Totally. Anyway, they were interviewing the addict who was clearly still very angry and resentful about that whole situation. Then they cut to the Mom, who all monotone and non-emotional, says, "If I remember, she was a little mad about that." LOL! Perhaps it was a "you had to be there moment", but it was priceless. Of COURSE she was going to be pissed about finding her Mom in a tub with slashed wrists!!!

The girl ended up getting clean (and so did the Mom - thank gawd!). I think she'd been sober since July of 2011. Every episode you always hope they make it... That they don't go back out. I think one of the reasons I like the show so much is the intervention is an act of love (even though the addict certainly doesn't see it that way at the time), and it gives me hope. Hope for the addict to find a better path in life, hope for the family that they get their person back, and hope that love can conquer all.

Intervention can be seen Monday nights on A&E. Please check your local listings for the time.

1 comment:

  1. LOL... I think that part with the mom would have been hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete